The world of social media influencers used to seem like a total mystery. Influencers spent years cultivating their public persona and making it seem so effortless that they were basically celebrities in their own right.
This world is actually accessible to anyone willing to put in the hard work. If you're lucky enough to turn your passion into a career, becoming a social media influencer could be for you! Read on for 10 steps that will help get you started:
- Choose Your Niche
- Plan Ahead
- Create an Online Presence
- Go Live
- Consider Creating a Blog
- Engage With Your Audience
- Embrace S.M.A.R.T Goals
- Utilize Hashtags Effectively
- Collaborate with Brands and Other Influencers
- Be Authentic and Realistic
- Start Small and Be Yourself
- Books on Becoming a Social Media Influencer
- Recommended Social Media Courses (Free & Paid)
Choose Your Niche
- Choose a Niche That you are passionate about: This will make it easier for you to go the extra mile on that niche and become an authority in it, eventually.
- Defend Your Niche: When you know so much about your niche, it is very easy to defend it and attract the right audience to you as an influencer.
- Choose a Niche that is not too broad: This will help you to be known for something specific and not to be a jack of all trades.
- Choose a Niche that is not too Narrow: To ensure that your audience is not too small, do not narrow it too much, just leave it moderate.
- Choose a Niche that is not too competitive: Even if you are choosing a very competitive niche, try to narrow down that niche and start with a specific part of that niche; As you grow, you can then add other parts.
- Planning is key to success: You may think you're the exception, but if you do, you'll likely be in for a surprise.
- Planning is the difference between success and failure: Between a good influencer and a great one; and between a good business and an excellent one.
Don't wait until the last minute to plan your content calendar out—plan ahead so that your schedule aligns with events like holidays or seasonal weather changes (like Christmas decorations going up in October).
Create an Online Presence
In order to become a social media influencer, you will need to create an online presence. You may be thinking that this seems simple enough, but there are actually many details that go into creating a professional profile on social media.
Here's how to do it:
- Choose a username that is catchy and easy to remember: If you want someone else to read your posts, then don't choose something silly or complicated because they won't be able to find you when they search for something specific in their feed or search engine results page (SERP). Also, make sure it doesn't look like every other username on the site – even if your name isn't unique!
- Create a profile photo that is professional and friendly: Your profile photo serves as the first impression when people visit your account so make sure it looks good! Consider taking some photos at home before uploading them so that they can be used later if anything changes (like if you cut off all of your hair).
If possible, use photos where everyone looks engaged; this will help show people that they're interacting with someone who cares about what they're doing online too instead of just being another person posting mindless content without any meaning behind them.
This also goes back to making sure nothing embarrassing appears in any photos uploaded either – no one wants those moments shared out publicly unless we've got permission first! It might seem obvious but trust me: these things happen more often than not!
Going live is the next step to becoming a social media influencer: This means using a live streaming platform and webcam, as well as having a plan for what you will talk about.
You'll want to take questions from your audience, be yourself, and be authentic.
The most important thing is to be patient. You may not see results immediately, but if you keep at it long enough (and stay consistent), you will get where you want to go! Also, remember that consistency matters – so make sure that time spent creating content isn't rushed or sloppy!
Be mindful of time management when creating content for social media influencers by keeping track of how long each video takes so that it can be done on schedule with less stress involved during production stages later down the line when things start getting busy around here too quickly!
Consider Creating a Blog
- Blogging is a great way to build an audience: This gives you the ability to share your thoughts and expertise with people who care about you and your knowledge.
- Blogging is a great way to build your personal brand: Personal brands are very powerful and effective in creating influence in your niche. For instance, Nwaeze David is not just a person, but it is a Brand and you can create a brand for yourself with a platform like DoctorBrand.
- Blogging is a great way to build your email list: If you understand the power of email marketing, then you will take this very seriously because it can make you a lot of money and also grow your influence.
Engage With Your Audience
Engaging with your audience is an essential part of the process. You can do this by answering their questions, sharing your opinion on popular topics on social media, posting helpful tips, asking for their opinions, and even posting selfies!
Embrace S.M.A.R.T Goals
The first step to create an online presence and becoming a social media influencer is to embrace the S.M.A.R.T goals approach. This is an acronym you'll often hear when it comes to goal setting and it stands for: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely.
The idea behind this method is that if your goals are clear and measurable then you can use them as a basis for actionable steps towards achieving them.
Here are some examples of S.M.A.R.T goals:
- I will write one blog post per week
- I will post at least ten times on social media each month
- I will increase my follower count by 20% in six months' time
Utilize Hashtags Effectively
- Hashtags are a great way to connect with other people: When used the right way it can make a lot of people discover you on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc.).
- Hashtags are a great way to get more followers: A lot of people will find you through hashtags on social media.
- Hashtags are a great way to get more likes on your posts: If you want more people to engage with your posts on social media, then you have to do your hashtagging very strategically to get more attention.
- Hashtags are a great way to get more comments on your posts: The more comments you have on a post, the more social media algorithms will show it to more people because they will automatically assume that post is worth sharing as a piece of valuable information.
Collaborate with Brands and Other Influencers
- For example, you might collaborate with brands that are a good fit for your audience.
- Or maybe you want to collaborate with other influencers.
- Or perhaps you'd like to work with another business or organization.
- All of these things can be great ways to grow your own audience by working with other people and organizations.
Be Authentic and Realistic
- Be honest about your skills and experience: If you're a hobbyist who wants to learn how to become a social media influencer, don't be afraid of saying so. If there are things you would like to improve on, tell people about those as well!
There's nothing wrong with being realistic about what you know and where you want to go in life.
- Be honest about your goals: When creating content for your followers, it's important that they know what kind of person they're following and what kind of content they can expect from you.
If your goal is simply to grow as an influencer, then let them know that—and don't worry if it doesn't sound as exciting as “I just want more followers!” Keeping everyone on the same page will help create trust between yourself and your community members, which will lead them back into checking out more of what you have going on later down the road when new opportunities arise!
- Be honest about limitations/limitations (or lack thereof): Don't pretend like something is possible when it realistically isn't–this might come across as deceitful rather than authentic honesty! For example: if someone asks where I'm traveling next month but I know full well that I won't have any time off work during this period because my schedule has already been booked solid beforehand…why would I lie about something so obvious? That would just make me look bad.”
Start Small and Be Yourself
It's important to remember that you're not expected to be perfect, and there's no need to try. Being yourself is what will make people interested in what you have to say in the first place, so don't put on airs.
Be real and honest about who you are and what your interests are.
Don't be afraid of making mistakes or failing at something; everyone does it from time to time. If mistakes happen, learn from them and move forward!
Books on Becoming a Social Media Influencer
There are some quality books you can also read to become a social media influencer today and you can get them with the button below:
Recommended Social Media Courses (Free & Paid)
Diploma in Social Media Strategy
This course will provide you with the skills you need to become a great social media strategist.
The Complete Social Media Marketing Course
You will be trained in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube basics as well as Pinterest and LinkedIn.
Becoming a social media influencer is possible, and we hope these 10 steps will get you started! Remember that success doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, dedication, and resilience to build a following of people who want to engage with your content.
But it's also an exciting way to be creative with your digital presence, share your passions with others, and collaborate with other like-minded individuals! SHARE THIS POST!!!