Generation Google Scholarship: For Women in Gaming
The Generation Google Scholarship for women in gaming was established to help aspiring students pursuing gaming degrees excel in technology and become leaders in the field.
Selected students will receive $10,000 USD (for those studying in the US) or $5,000 CAD (for those studying in Canada) for the 2022-2023 school year.
The Generation Google Scholarship: for women in gaming will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, demonstrated leadership, and academic performance.
The program is open to students who meet all the minimum qualifications and we strongly encourage women to apply. Applicants are not required to currently be enrolled in an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or PhD program for the 2021-2022 academic year to apply.
Recipients of one of the following Google Scholarships: Generation Google Scholarship, Generation Google Scholarship: for women in gaming, Generation Google Scholarship: for supply chain and fulfillment, Google Lime Scholarship, Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship, Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science, and Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming are not eligible to reapply.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for the Generation Google Scholarship: for women in gaming, applicants must:
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD program at an accredited university or college in the United States or Canada for the 2022-2023 academic year
- Be studying video game programming, game engineering, game design, and development, or a closely related technical field in gaming
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Demonstrate financial need
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for increasing the involvement of women in gaming
Scholarship Application process
You will be asked to complete an online application which includes:
- General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
- Academic transcripts from your current (if you are currently enrolled) and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- Family and household information
- Responses to four short answer essay questions
- Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool or respective peers (e.g. high school students compared to other high school students).
The three short answer essay questions below are intended to assess your demonstrated leadership, your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and your financial need. Each response to the three questions below should be 500 words or less.
1) Give one example of how you have exhibited leadership. Explain what you were trying to achieve, your role, how you influenced others, and the impact as a result of your actions. Think broadly and examine the many ways you are having an effect on the members of the different communities you are a part of. Keep in mind, that the example you choose does not need to be a formal or traditional leadership role.
2) What is a significant challenge that impacts women in the gaming industry and what do you believe is the root cause of this challenge? What actions have you taken to address this challenge? Keep in mind that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales. Please focus at least half of your response on the actions you have taken.
3) Describe any financial circumstances affecting your need for a scholarship. In your answer be sure to describe any obstacles you have overcome to get to where you are today. What goals will this scholarship enable you to accomplish?
IMPORTANT: Before starting the application, please have the following ready for upload:
- A PDF copy of your resume (if applicable, please include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on the resume)
- A PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- A PDF copy of your three short-answer responses
Application deadline: Friday, December 10, 2021, at 11:59 PM PT
Google Scholarship Terms and conditions
The Generation Google Scholarship: for women in gaming award must be spent on tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for the student's classes at their primary university. Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as full-time students for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Enrollment will be verified before the winners are selected, and all scholarship payments will be made directly to the student to be used towards tuition and education-related expenses.
Students under the age of 18 at the time of acceptance must have a parent or guardian sign these scholarship award terms & conditions. Google will withhold the award for any scholar who no longer meets the eligibility requirements and revoke the award for any scholar who does not maintain the eligibility requirements.
Selected recipients will receive instructions from Google on how to receive the award. Failure to complete these steps by the specified deadline will disqualify recipients from receiving the award. Recipients may defer their award for up to one (1) year from the time of originally planned payment on a case by case basis as determined by Google.
Google employees are not eligible to apply for Google scholarships. Persons who are (1) residents of embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply for this scholarship.
For answers to FAQs, click here…
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. However, if not, leave a comment in the comment box to express your concern or ask a question, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Remember to Share this Article with your friends on social media!! Doing this helps us improve and grow our channel and also enables us to help more people online. Thank You For Sharing!!!